Education Council

The Education Council of Aotearoa New Zealand is responsible for the issue and renewal of practising certificates, and anyone teaching in New Zealand needs to be registered with them. After you apply, they’ll review your IQA results from NZQA or your qualifications from their pre-approved overseas teaching qualifications list and issue you with a current practising certificate.

Make sure you prepare your documentation carefully before you leave your home country to help speed up the process.


  • You’ll need to provide the following certified documents:
    < 4 weeks
    $302.57 NZD
    • A completed EC15 application form
    • Certified copy of your qualifications
    • Your IQA results from NZQA or details of any qualification you have that are on the pre-approved overseas teaching qualifications list
    • If you haven’t taught in the past 6 years, you’ll need to provide evidence of completing the Teacher Education Refresh (TER) programme, which is only delivered by New Zealand providers
    • Police clearance from any country you’ve lived in for more than 1 year in the previous 10 years
    • Proof of English language proficiency
    • Curriculum Vitae outlining your teaching experience
    • A certified copy of your most recent teaching appraisal
    • A testimonial from your most recent professional leader
    • A list of professional development completed, including evidence where possible.

Things to keep in mind

Only original certified documents will be accepted by the Education Council. View the Completion Guide on the EC15 application form available to download on the Education Council website for further details.

Visit Education Council  

Visit the Education Council website for more information about applying from overseas.

Please note that stated costs and timeframes are subject to change.